"THEN Jesus was led by the spirit into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterwards he was hungry. And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:1-4

Friday, May 14, 2010

Novena to the Holy Spirit

It's that time of year - the days between Ascension Thursday and Pentecost - there are nine. We remember the days that the Apostles spent locked in a room, feeling bereftly hopeful or hopefully bereft, praying for the Return of the King. Or for the Promised Paraclete or for anything. They are like us, and you know how we get when the Lord  does not answer in the manner we desire immediately upon hearing our Amen. Thankfully the Lord only allowed them to linger for nine days before sending the Most. Amazing. Gift. His own Holy Spirit, the Lord of Creation and inspiration and love. So the Church has a prayer for that. How cool is that? (Yes, yes, I know, the Church has a prayer for everything. Good thing, too, 'cause I have need almost all them so far...) This Novena in honor of the Holy begs Him to fill our hearts, renew our spirits, draw us closer to the Father and the Son and pour His Gifts out upon us as in the days of old. The world needs us to use these gifts, to live in the Light of the Fruits that they bear.

You can find the novena here in daily format (at least I think it will post each day) or  all in one gulp at EWTN.

  The Holy Father speaks about the days between Ascension and Pentecost.

I love the Iris in the picture above. My daughter, Cymberley, took it. I think it looks like a tongue of fire. So I think I'll leave it there until Holy Trinity Sunday. (And if you haven't made your Easter Duty, you're running out of season...LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome! The most important bread is the Bread of Life. I am Catholic and do my best to know, understand and live what that means that I might "know Him, love Him and serve Him." My husband, Bud, and I have been married for 24 years and we have seven children. Because of his job, we travel the country in an RV with five of them, learning as we go.