"THEN Jesus was led by the spirit into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterwards he was hungry. And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:1-4

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More rye bread.

So I made the second loaf. This time I baked it in a parchment lined pan de mie pan without the lid, because as I said in the other rye bread post, I added honey and potato flakes and I think the dough was too slack. (My freeform loaf was kinda flat, perhaps I didn't slash deeply enough?) I baked it in the pan for 20 minutes then removed it from the pan and let it finish baking on the cookie sheet. Success. Bud wanted his lunch on it except he preferred the bottom crust be cut off. A major achievement as he has hitherto scorned rye bread. I like in the pan as it is more sandwich-friendly. And as I am not making bread merely for the aesthetic experience, I think I may do it that way again. (Bud needs to eat more whole grains and whatever it takes, right?)
So next time, I will keep the honey, lose the potato flakes and add a little more flour to achieve the consistency of the other doughs we have made with this method. But this is a keeper.

I have been reading recipes for unseeded ryes and they seem to have some kooky substitutes for the caraway seeds - dill pickle juice or sauerkraut. I think I am going to boil a few caraway seeds in a little bit of water and see if that produces a sort of caraway tea that I can use for flavoring. If not I will probably add half the amount of caraway seeds to the next batch. I just don't love the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome! The most important bread is the Bread of Life. I am Catholic and do my best to know, understand and live what that means that I might "know Him, love Him and serve Him." My husband, Bud, and I have been married for 24 years and we have seven children. Because of his job, we travel the country in an RV with five of them, learning as we go.