"THEN Jesus was led by the spirit into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterwards he was hungry. And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:1-4

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ABin5 Deli Rye bread with Variation

I would put up a picture, but it didn't last that long. The hungry horde had hovered hungrily hour after hour until the loaf was extracted from the oven! So what I did was opt out on the caraway - I know, I know, but I don't like seeds in my rye bread. I added dark honey, about a tablespoon and about 2 tablespoons of potato flakes. It was good. The dough was slacker than the result I normally get and I only blame myself for neglecting to adjust with a little more flour to compensate for the honey. College-in-a-Camper claimed that she had no idea that a nice, brown rye loaf could taste so delicious. I think if left to its own devices for another day or so, the sour would develop deliciously. Alas, the next loaf is headed into the oven as we have run out of fridge room.

Now you might wonder how that could happen.
If your kids go on a hunger strike and refuse to eat the last of the store bread, then they decide to make the nice white sandwich bread and decide that meatball and sausage sandwiches should be on the dinner menu ("Well, you asked us what we wanted, Mom.") therefore, the Boule recipe must also be mixed up...you can easily see how one can have a fridge full of dough in a hurry.

Notes on the rye: no discernible benefit from the potato flakes, in fact, this may be the reason the dough is very moist; will put caraway seeds on top of next loaf, that way I can unseed by knocking the seeds off and still retain the caraway flavor. Other persons are skeptical of this claiming not to like caraway very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome! The most important bread is the Bread of Life. I am Catholic and do my best to know, understand and live what that means that I might "know Him, love Him and serve Him." My husband, Bud, and I have been married for 24 years and we have seven children. Because of his job, we travel the country in an RV with five of them, learning as we go.