"THEN Jesus was led by the spirit into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterwards he was hungry. And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:1-4

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Yeah, Dad, you would have loved New Mexico

My dad had a dream. He wanted to live in New Mexico when he retired. It never happened. He didn't live long enough to retire. He never got to see New Mexico. But I have. It's an amazing place. The attraction for my dad was the ruggedness of the desert - this place that he had only read about and seen in pictures, this "Land of Enchantment" truly enchanted him. He was smitten by the idea of a place so unpopulated and different from the City of Brotherly Love.

I don't think he would have been disappointed. New Mexico is an enchanting place. The people are friendly. The terrain is unique. I haven't been to Taos, the place my dad dreamed of. But the towns where I have stayed: Clovis, Albuquerque, Gallup and Belen have been interesting and well, enchanting. I particularly enjoy visiting Gallup. We've driven to a few different points of interest that I think would have been things my dad would have liked to see.

It was a good dream, Dad. But as wonderful as New Mexico is, I suppose your retirement home is a lot better than NM ever will be.

Miss you, Dad.
Joseph Bluhm, Sr.
5-12-1933 to 7-29-1984

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome! The most important bread is the Bread of Life. I am Catholic and do my best to know, understand and live what that means that I might "know Him, love Him and serve Him." My husband, Bud, and I have been married for 24 years and we have seven children. Because of his job, we travel the country in an RV with five of them, learning as we go.